If you get error code: 0x80070002 or 80070002, do not worry it is one of the most common errors in Windows 10. You may get this error while updating your Windows 10. KB3200970 is also a similar type of error and it has the same solutions which you can find here. Your update will start and immediately you will find that it will not download the update or it also may restart your computer. After that, it will not be able to install your windows. We have many solutions for this problem which you can see below. Follow these solutions in order to eradicate your error 0x80070002.
Check your date and time
Follow these simple steps to fix the error 0x80070002.
- Open the Control panel by searching for Control panel in the search bar and click on Control panel which you can see at the top of the list of results.
- Select the Date and time.
- After that, choose Change date and time.
- Now, check if the date and time are correct. If time is not correct in your system, you should make the necessary correction. And hit OK.
- Select an appropriate time zone and proceed.
- You can also make your date and time correct by pressing on Internet time.
- After going to internet time, click on Update now.
- Finally, hit OK twice to complete the process.
- Now restart your computer.
If you had an incorrect time on your computer, this will fix the error 0x80070002 which popped up in your computer.
Check and remove corrupted system files
You can check and remove corrupted files by doing the SFC scan on your computer. For checking and remove corrupted files via SFC scan, follow the steps listed below.
- Go to the search bar and type either CMD or command prompt.
- You can see the command prompt at the top of the list of results. You should right-click on it and select run as administrator.
- After that, type SFC /scannow and hit Enter.
- It will take some time so you should wait. It will check for the corrupted files and remove them.
When the scanning is complete, you will receive a message. After that, you should try updating your windows once again. If it shows the same error, it means those corrupt files were found but it was unable to remove. In this case, you should remove those corrupted manually. To do so, you should follow these simple steps.
- Go to start menu and search for the control panel and open it.
- When the control panel opens, click on the search box (you can find at the right top of the Control panel window).
- You should search for administrative tools. Now, you should click on Administrative tools.
- When you see a new window popping up, double-click on Service. You may be asked for an administrator password and confirmation, please provide confirmation.
- Click the name tab which helps you to sort files in alphabetical order. After that, you can find Windows update service in that window. You should right-click it and choose to stop.
- If this method also does not help to fix your error 0x80070002, try another method to fix your error.
Delete the Software Distribution folder
You can find the software distribution folder in C drive. Software Distribution folder contains all the downloaded updates. It may also be the cause of the error 0x80070002. Follow these instructions to delete the software distribution folder.
- Open This pc or My computer.
- Double click on C drive.
- After that, go inside Windows.
- Find SoftwareDistribution.
- Delete that folder. If you do not want to delete that folder, you can rename it as
Finally, restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, try downloading the update and installing. This will help you to fix the error code: 0x80070002.
Try Windows Update troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is one of the methods to solve the errors related to windows update. Visit the official website of Microsoft in order to download troubleshooter. This is a tool which will identify the errors related to windows update and fix that issue.
Note: You must be sure that you have backed up your important files and documents in any external drives as soon as error code: 0x80070002 appears in the computer.